Bioenergy for the Region Cluster
#Biogenic Residuals & Waste Materials
#Biorefineries & Biofuels
The Bioenergy for the Region Cluster (B4R, coordinated by Research and Innovation Centre Pro-Akademia, has been established in April 2007 as a bottom-up initiative of companies, local authorities and research institutions based in Łódź Voivodeship. It is an open cooperation initiative, which in the mid-2020 brought together 53 SMES, 3 large enterprises, 7 research institutes, 11 public authorities and 6 business environment institutions, a total of 80 entities operating in renewable energy sources and energy efficiency area.
Members of cluster
The cluster is balanced in terms of the members structure, since it associates all type of entities. Most of the members are SMEs (53), followed by Public authorities (11) and Research and education institutions (7). Core activity of the cluster members is related to biomass energy, energy efficiency and other renewable energy sources, in particular solar and HVAC installations. Members dealing with biomass cover the whole value chain: production of energy plants, production and sales of fuels from biomass , production of energy, manufacturing of machines and tools for the biomass industry, as well as R&D in the field of biomass cultivation. Members working in the field of energy efficiency focus on providing advisory services, including energy audits and energy management. This group consist of also construction companies providing passive and energy efficient buildings. Companies from the solar energy sector deliver mainly PV installations, sometimes combined with heating systems and smart building systems. 11 members and the coordinator provide research and education services, in particular in RES and energy efficiency fields. Key R&D&I players are RIC Pro-Akademia which initiates most of the joint research projects among cluster members, but also Łódź University of Technology, Instytut Energetyki and Instytut Ogrodnictwa.
References and Experience
- Center for Technology Transfer within RES
- PRESOURCE Project – www.presource.eu
- InfoPro Project – www.infopro.euris-programme.eu
- complex solution of issues concerning the regulation of the biomass market in the Lodz region, in particular the methods of collection, processing and use as RES;
- integration between members of the Cluster - businesses, researchers and local authorities in order to increase the share of solar and wind energy in the energy balance of the region;
- educational and information activities, promoting the use of available in region of Lodz renewable energy and energy efficiency.